Saturday, September 12, 2009

Big Days Ahead

So, training ended yesterday, officially. I have to say, it was a welcome end. I couldn't take any more meetings and sitting in classrooms and pretending to be a whiny kid on a field trip while my fellow volunteers practiced their tours.
I do have to say, however, that we education volunteers had a pretty good time pretending to be students visiting the farm. If you're confused, let me explain. This week, every edvol (education volunteer) got to practice facilitating a tour or program. Meanwhile, the other edvols pretended to be a visiting group. And we made many a character in the process. One day, I was Timmy the troubled boy whose parents were getting divorced, and I kept alluding to my mom's "happy pills". Sick stuff I know, but this is my blog, so suck it. Yesterday, my name was Jixby, and my favorite food was sausage oatmeal, and my favorite activity was protecting my house from dinosaurs. So, all in all, that was pretty fun.
But, training is over. All the edvols went into Worcester (pronounced "Woostah") last night to celebrate over mexican food and beer. We have two days off, and then it's the real deal. My first tour is on Monday, with a school whose name I forgot. I will be taking them through the Humans and Habitats program, which is about a five hour tour. Part of the tour, a part that will no doubt be difficult, involves a "village meal" in Thailand. Basically, I will provide the kids with cookware and food, and they will have to build a fire, prepare the food, and cook it at the Thailand site. It will be an authentic Thailand meal. I don't imagine that the process will go smoothly, but that's part of the fun. I have two other tours next week, and I am really excited about it. Today, a rainy day to do nothing. Ah.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha!! I like Jixby and I know how stressful it is to protect your loved ones from dinosaurs.

    ReplyDelete