Thursday, March 18, 2010

Oh Yeah

I forgot one more reason for Spring jubilation:
Bees. We have two hives on the farm, and I've been going to Bee School once a week for about the past month. Two days ago, I actually got to go into the hive and put some of my knowledge into practice. Pretty amazing to see the frames close up, the individual bees, the capped honey, the brooding cells. I even tried it without gloves or a hood, just to see how comfortable I felt. The experience of thousands of bees zooming around you without panic or fear is pretty incredible. And then I got stung on the face.
With Spring here, the bees were busy, and we got to see the early signs of pollen collecting and egg laying. And, dun dun duuunn, mold. Moisture had leaked in and molded over a few frames. Not good. But, we have a whole community of bee keepers to help out.
We are also possibly kidnapping a hive we've found in the forest to put in a hive box of our own. That should be a debacle.

1 comment: